Jared Hoggan’s practice focuses on patent litigation and has included actions in Federal District Court, the United States International Trade Commission, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Jared is experienced with all aspects of patent litigation, from pre-filing investigations and patent valuations to post-trial briefing and appeal.
Prior to joining Gray Reed, Jared clerked with the Honorable Kimberly Moore of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and was an Associate at McKool Smith. While at The University of Texas School of Law, he served as Executive Articles Editor for the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal, and was the 2008 National Champion of the AIPLA-sponsored Giles S. Rich Interscholastic Moot Court competition. Jared worked as an engineer in the automotive industry prior to law school, focusing on the design and manufacturing of automotive glass products with a Tier 1 automotive supplier.
- Represented a Fortune Global 500 company in patent infringement litigation with a mobile handset manufacturer involving cellular telecommunication technologies.
- Represented a patentee in an appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit from litigation related to wireless internet technologies.
- Represented a patent licensing consortium in patent infringement lawsuits in the Eastern District of Texas and Northern District of California against global mobile handset manufacturers involving a number of patents related to mobile handset technology.
- Represented a global telecommunications company in a patent infringement dispute against a large mobile handset manufacturer in the International Trade Commission and district court related to LTE, WCDMA, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and 802.11 wireless technology.
- Represented cementing contractors in the MDL litigation related to the Macondo/Deepwater Horizon blowout.
- Represented a patentee in litigation asserting foundational flash memory patents against manufacturers of bleeding edge SSDs.
- Represented a software company as a plaintiff in patent litigation against enterprise software suppliers, asserting a number of patents related to supply chain planning and application management.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement suit relating to drug-eluting stent technology.
- Represented a leading science and technology university and a hard disk drive manufacturer in a Delaware patent infringement suit involving pioneering hard disk drive technology.
- Represented a software company in a patent infringement lawsuit brought by a bank in the District of Delaware, alleging infringement of patents regarding stored-value cards.
- Represented a software company in a contract dispute related to private aviation acquisitions.
- Named a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2017-2018)
- National Champion, Giles Sutherland Rich Interscholastic Intellectual Property Moot Court Competition
- Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal, Editorial Board, Executive Articles Editor (2007 - 2008)
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Volunteer Coach, SMU Giles Sutherland Rich Interscholastic Intellectual Property Moot Court Teams (2014 – 2016)
- Barbara M.G. Lynn American Inn of Court (2013 – 2015)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Fifth Circuit Bar Association
Articles & Publications
- "Attorney-Client Privilege in an Interconnected World,” Nina Macpherson and Theodore Stevenson III, Antitrust, Spring 2015