Stephen A. Cooney
T: 713.986.7000 F: 713.730.5810
Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law, Stephen Cooney is a transactional attorney focused on general corporate and real estate transactions. He assists businesses with day-to-day operating needs, negotiating and drafting business contracts, asset and stock sales, business governance issues, and the formation of business entities, including corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships and general partnerships. His real estate practice includes representing buyers and sellers in negotiating and preparing documents relating to the sale, purchase, lease and operation of commercial properties. He also advises clients regarding land use issues, deed restrictions and property owners association formation and operation. Stephen also handles matters for clients in the areas of public law and government relations. Before joining Gray Reed, he served as Communications Director and as a senior policy advisor to former Harris County Judge Robert Eckels. Stephen's ten years of experience in county government has provided him a wide range of knowledge on local governmental issues including permitting, land use development and open records/meetings laws.
- Represented seller in negotiating $13 million sale of six franchised restaurants.
- Represented oil field services company in $47 million stock acquisition of company that supplies syntactic foam products for use in offshore exploration and production; $20 million stock acquisition of manufacturer of deep water buoyancy systems.
- Represented seller in $23 million sale of radiation therapy services business.
- Represent clients in the oil and gas industry in negotiating master service agreements.
- Serve as outside general counsel to company that sells and distributes frac flowback water treatment systems.
- Serve as outside general counsel to rice milling company.
- Advise clients in forming and operating Texas entities - corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships, limited liability companies, including the preparation and negotiation of partnership agreements and LLC agreements.
- Represent pest control company in acquisition of commercial property in Houston to expand business.
- Represent seller in sale of pads in Bastrop, Texas for development of fast food restaurants.
- Represented buyer in acquisition of multi-unit complex in College Station, Texas.
- Represented oil field services company in lease negotiation of 215,000 square foot industrial facility.
- Negotiation of numerous commercial leasing transactions, including office leases, and retail leases throughout Houston.
- Advise clients regarding the formation and operation of property owners associations.
- Serve as General Counsel to the Airline Improvement District, a municipal management district created by the 79th Texas Legislature (HB 1458); advises the Board on all legal issues, including grants, contracts, real estate matters and open meetings/records laws, and advises on legislative matters.
- Represent investor owned water utilities; represents clients before the Harris-Galveston Subsidence District; advises on Groundwater Reduction Plan issues, and related water issues.
- Represented a company regarding wage-scale issues while doing business with the City of Houston, resulting in the waiver of all penalties totaling $42,000.
- Successfully appealed a client's removal from the City of Houston's Minority/Women Business Enterprise Program
- Commercial Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas, Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section, Business Law Section.
- Real Estate Legislative Affairs Committee of the State Bar's Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section: Member for 82nd, 83rd and 84th Texas Legislature.
- Recently completed six year term on the governing Board of the Children's Advocacy Centers of Texas, Inc.; 2010-2011 Vice President; 2009-2010 Chair of Public Policy Committee; 2008-2009 Chair of Public Policy Committee.
- Member of Rotary Club of Houston.
- Served seven years on Board of Directors of Maplewood South/North Civic Improvement Association, Past President.
- Named a Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition by Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine - 2010.