Glen T. Eichelberger
T: 713.986.7000 F: 713.730.5931
Glen Eichelberger focuses on all aspects of trust, estate and philanthropic planning and administration for individuals and families. Glen advises clients regarding estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer taxes as well as the implementation and administration of complex estate planning structures, including charitable planning and administration of family foundations and other non-profit organizations.
Glen's clients hold interests in both publicly traded companies and closely-held businesses. He counsels clients with closely-held businesses in the preservation of those businesses from generation-to-generation through appropriate estate and succession planning. In particular, Glen represents clients with interests in limited partnerships or limited liability companies in the energy field regarding planning opportunities for the transfer equity in those businesses in a tax-advantaged manner to succeeding generations. He also is experienced in planning for the transfer of other special assets such as art, primary and secondary residences, farms and ranches and life insurance.
Glen has experience in proceedings to modify or terminate irrevocable trusts, many times involving planning for the associated tax considerations. He works with financial institutions whose clients require modifying irrevocable trusts under administration by the financial institution.
In addition to estate and gift tax planning, Glen's practice includes assisting clients in the administration of decedent's estates and matters associated with the representation of the fiduciaries charged with such duties. These representations are the probate proceedings, gathering and valuation of estate assets, preparation and filing of the decedent's estate tax return and funding of associated testamentary trusts.
Glen also represents directors of family foundations with respect to the ongoing administration of such entities, including documentation of the decisions by the board of the foundation and preparation of meeting minutes and consent actions.
A licensed CPA who also holds an MBA, Glen formerly served as the National Director for Merrill Lynch's Family Office Services, a division of Merrill Lynch's Private Banking and Investment Group. In that role, Glen worked with numerous families of significant wealth and their advisors from coast to coast to formulate, implement and administer their estate, financial and philanthropic plans. During his time at Merrill Lynch, Glen met with and co-presented with leading experts in the field of wealth transfer psychology and its impact on family dynamics. As a result of that experience, he brings to his practice valuable insight into family business entity consulting, the dynamics of wealth in families, and navigating complex intra-family issues.
- Merrill Lynch Family Office Services, a division of Merrill Lynch’s Private Banking and Investment Group
- Board Certified in Estate Planning & Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Houston Bar Association – Probate, Trusts & Estates Section (past chairman)
- Houston Estate Forum – Next Generation, Founding Member
- Houston Business & Estate Planning Council
- Houston Estate & Financial Forum
- State Bar of Texas – 2014 Advanced Estate Planning & Probate Course, Committee Member
- 2014 Texas Board of Legal Specialization Estate Planning & Probate Law Commission, Committee Member
- American College of Trust & Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Rating
- Ranked as one of the leading Private Wealth law lawyers in Texas, Chambers & Partners USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Woodward/White, Inc.’s The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Trusts and Estates (2013 - 2016, 2018)
- Named a Super Lawyer by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines (2015-2017)
- Named a Houstonia Magazine Top Lawyer in Houston (2017)
Publications & Speeches
- Co-author and presenter, “POAs: Possibilities, Obstacles and Abuses II,” Houston Disability and Elder Law Attorneys Association, February 2016
- Author and presenter, "The Top Ten Issues Encountered at the (Unavoidable) Intersection of a Client's Business and Personal Life," Houston Bar Association, Tax Section, October 2014
- Co-author, "Big Returns Using Low Interest Rates," Texas Lawyer, August 2014
- Co-author & co-panelist, "Dealing with LPs and LLCs in Your Practice," 2014 Advanced Estate Planning & Probate Course, June 2014
- "Bypass Trusts: Obsolete Bygones or Too Good to Pass Up?," Estate Planning Magazine, November 2013
- "FLP Transferability Restrictions: How They Impact the Next Generation," Trust & Estates Magazine, September 2013
- Estate Planning, "Personal Side of Clients’ Business," February 2013
- Co-author, "At Last, Permanent Wealth Transfer Tax Laws," Law360, January 2013
- Co-author, "Fiscal Cliff Not the Only Worry After the New Year – For Some," Texas Real Estate Update, Sage Group, November 2012
- "Planning for the Fiscal Cliff," Bernstein, October 2012
- Co-author and presenter, "POAs: Possibilities, Obstacles and Abuses," Houston Bar Association, 2012 Wills and Probate Institute, Fundamentals Course, February 2012
- Co-author and presenter, "Estate Planning Considerations for 2012 and Beyond," Houston Bar Association, 2012 Wills and Probate Institute, Advanced Course, February 2012
- "Tax Act and Revenue Proposals," Texas Lawyer, June 2011
- "What Now? Planning in Light of the 2010 Tax Act," Baylor University Estate Planning Network, May 2011
- "There is No Time Like the Present: Gifting Opportunities," Second Baptist Church Newsletter, Fall 2012
- "Gifting Options, The Legacy of Giving and Planned Giving," Second Baptist Church Newsletter, December 2010
- Co-author & co-panelist, "Selling A Business - Designing Your Life Post Transaction," presented with Bernstein Wealth Management, October 2010
- Co-author & co-panelist, "The First Step Before Selling Your Business - Planning Your Future," presented with Barclay’s Wealth, October 2010
- "Estate Planning in Uncertain Times 2010," South Central Texas Association of Corporate Counsel, July 2010