After a distinguished 18-year career serving on the Texas Fifth District Court of Appeals, former Justice Jim Moseley joined Gray Reed & McGraw where he heads the firm’s appellate practice.
As one of the 13 justices on the Fifth District Court of Appeals, his jurisdiction covered the Dallas area including Collin, Dallas, Grayson, Hunt, Kaufman and Rockwall counties. He authored more than 1,500 opinions in all areas of civil and criminal law, and sat as a non-authoring justice in more than 3,000 additional cases. In 2003, Jim was commissioned to sit for a recused Supreme Court justice and authored the Supreme Court’s plurality opinion (St. Joseph’s Hospital v. Wolff, 94 S.W.3d 514 (2003)).
Prior to his service on the Dallas Court of Appeals, Jim practiced law in Dallas and Odessa for 14 years. He also served four years as Regional Director of the Federal Trade Commission during the Reagan Administration. There, he was responsible for enforcing federal antitrust and consumer laws in a five-state area. Jim is a former Chair of the State Bar of Texas' Antitrust & Business Litigation Section, and is an elected member of the American Law Institute.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee (Member, 2012 - 2015)
- Assists Supreme Court in the continuing study, review, and development of rules of administration and procedure for Texas courts.
Texas Center for the Judiciary (2011 - 2012) Member, Curriculum Committee.
- Designs continuing legal education programs for Texas trial and appellate judges.
American Law Institute (elected member)
State Bar of Texas
- Legislative Committee, Judicial Section (2011 - 2012)
- Chair, Antitrust & Business Litigation Section (2006 - 2007)
- Council member (2001 - present)
- Grievance Committee (District 17 - B, 1983)
College of the State Bar of Texas
- Board of Directors (July 2012 - present)
Dallas Bar Association Board of Directors (2002 - 2003)
- Co-Chair, Dallas Bench - Bar Conference (2006)
- Co-Chair, Publications Committee (2001 - 2002)
The Federalist Society for Law & Public Policy Studies
- Chair, Antitrust Subcommittee, Corporate, Securities & Antitrust Practice Group (1999 - 2002)
- Vice-Chair (Membership), Administrative Law & Regulation Practice Group (1996 - 1998)
- Co-Founder (1987), Chair (1987 - 1988), Board of Advisors (1987 - present), Dallas Lawyer’s Chapter
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Woodward/White, Inc.'s The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Appellate Practice and Commercial Litigation (2017 – 2018)
- 2017 Distinguished Counselor Award from the State Bar of Texas Antitrust & Business Litigation Section
- Award from the American Board of Trial Advocates (Dallas Chapter) in Recognition for Service, Dedication, and Efforts to Preserve the Seventh Amendment (2015)
- FTC Award for Superior Service (1985)
- FTC Chairman's Award for Excellence (1984)