David Leonard, a native Houstonian, is an associate in Gray Reed’s commercial litigation section. David primarily represents businesses in state and federal trial court proceedings, state and federal appeals, and arbitration proceedings. David also counsels businesses regarding dispute resolution through mediation and other forms of negotiation.
David is a graduate of The University of Texas School of Law, where he was managing editor of the Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law. David received a B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Texas at Austin.
Oil and Gas Litigation
- Defended operator in lawsuit arising from dispute of mineral interest located in East Texas.
- Represented purchaser of mineral interests in Eagle Ford Shale in dispute with seller.
General Commercial Disputes
- Negotiated favorable settlement for publicly-traded oilfield services corporation in dispute arising from a marine technology contract.
- Represented global franchisor in disputes with franchisees arising from underpayment of franchise royalties.
- Represented oilfield equipment manufacturer in payment and/or performance disputes with vendors and customers.
- Negotiated loan modification on behalf of creditor involving loan amounts exceeding $600,000.
- Represented largest hospital system in Houston in dispute with medical equipment supplier.
- Defended car dealership against claims brought by customer under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
Real Estate Disputes
- Negotiated resolution of commercial lock-out on behalf of physician group with landlord.
- Represented buyer of commercial real property in a dispute with seller regarding disbursement of earnest money.
- Represented largest hospital system in Houston in a dispute with its medical tenant.
- Represent property owner in lawsuit against appraisal district concerning property tax appraisals.
- Represent industrial tenant in dispute with landlord concerning usage of premises.
- Led negotiations to resolve executive compensation dispute on behalf of former executive with Fortune 500 healthcare company.
- Represented employer to enforce non-competition agreement against former sales executive.
- Defended global valve manufacturer against misappropriation of trade secret lawsuit concerning valve designs.
- Represented private equity group and individual shareholders in direct and derivative claims against a hydraulic fracturing company.
Premises Liability Defense
- Asserted Chapter 95 defense on behalf of Fortune 500 chemical refining company in personal injury lawsuit in federal court.
- Asserted Chapter 95 defense on behalf of Global Fortune 500 chemical refining company in personal injury lawsuit in state court.
- Assisted with appellate briefing for the plaintiff/appellee in a breach of contract case and secured affirmance of trial court judgment.
- Assisted with appellate briefing for the plaintiff/appellee in a Fourteenth Amendment and Texas Whistleblower Act case.
- Drafted briefing in mandamus proceeding on behalf of minority shareholders in connection with a discovery dispute arising from shareholder derivative lawsuit.
- Drafted briefing in appeal of summary judgment arising from claims of breach of fiduciary duty.
Defense of Conversion and Civil Theft Claims
- Obtained take-nothing judgment for individual alleged to have converted and stolen personal property.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Licensed to practice in Texas, 2011
- Board Member, Texas Energy Law Association
- Advisory Board Member, The Hermann Park Conservancy
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
Community Involvement, Memberships & Affiliations
- Hermann Park Conservancy, Advisory Board member
Deepwater Horizon Insurance Litigation: Unintended Consequences, Practical Responses, Ethical Issues, and Suggestions for Review, 2013 Annual Admiralty and Maritime Law Conference, University of Texas School of Law (co-author with Julia Palmer).