David Leonard, a native Houstonian, is an associate in Gray Reed’s commercial litigation section. David primarily represents businesses to resolve disputes in state and federal trial court proceedings, state and federal appeals, and arbitration proceedings.
David is a graduate of The University of Texas School of Law, where he was managing editor of the Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law. David received a B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Texas at Austin.
- Defended operator in lawsuit arising from East Texas mineral interest dispute.
- Represented purchaser of mineral interests in Eagle Ford Shale in dispute with seller.
- Represented oilfield equipment manufacturer in payment and performance disputes with vendors and customers.
- Represented private equity group and individual shareholders in direct and derivative claims in connection with a hydraulic fracturing service company.
General Business Litigation
- Negotiated favorable settlement for publicly-traded oilfield services corporation in dispute arising from a marine technology contract.
- Represented global franchisor in disputes with franchisees arising from breach of franchise agreement.
- Negotiated loan modification on behalf of creditor involving loan amounts exceeding $600,000.
- Represented hospital system in payment dispute with medical equipment supplier.
- Defended car dealership against claims brought by customer under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Obtained take-nothing judgment for individual alleged to have converted and stolen personal property.
Real Estate Litigation
- Negotiated resolution of lock-out on behalf of physician group with landlord.
- Represented buyer of commercial real property in dispute with seller regarding disbursement of earnest money.
- Represented hospital system in dispute with its medical tenant.
- Represented industrial tenant in dispute with landlord concerning usage of premises.
- Represented industrial and commercial property owners in lawsuits against appraisal district concerning excessive and unequal property tax appraisals.
- Led negotiations to resolve executive compensation dispute on behalf of former executive with Fortune 500 healthcare company.
- Represented employer to enforce non-competition agreement against former sales executive.
- Defended global valve manufacturer against misappropriation of trade secret lawsuit concerning valve designs.
- Represented general contractor in billing dispute with subcontractor in commercial development project.
- Represented owner of residential building in review and negotiations of agreement with general contractor and architect.
- Represented high-rise condominium owners’ association in construction defect lawsuit against general contractor, sub-contractors, and product manufacturer.
Premises Liability Defense
- Asserted Chapter 95 defense on behalf of Fortune 500 chemical refining company in personal injury lawsuit in federal court.
- Asserted Chapter 95 defense on behalf of Global Fortune 500 chemical refining company in personal injury lawsuit in state court.
- Presented oral argument to Fifth Court of Appeals in breach of fiduciary duty case.
- Assisted with appellate briefing for the plaintiff/appellee in a breach of contract case and secured affirmance of trial court judgment.
- Assisted with appellate briefing for the plaintiff/appellee in a Fourteenth Amendment and Texas Whistleblower Act case.
- Drafted briefing in mandamus proceeding on behalf of minority shareholders in connection with a discovery dispute arising from shareholder derivative lawsuit.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
Community Involvement, Memberships & Affiliations
- Hermann Park Conservancy, Advisory Board Member
- St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, Member
- Named “Rising Star” in 2015 by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) as published in Texas Monthly magazine
- Contributing Author, Texas Business Litigation - Selected Causes of Action Unique to the Oil and Gas Industry (ALM 2014 Publication) July 2014
Deepwater Horizon Insurance Litigation: Unintended Consequences, Practical Responses, Ethical Issues, and Suggestions for Review, 2013 Annual Admiralty and Maritime Law Conference, University of Texas School of Law (co-author with Julia Palmer).