Michael Kelsheimer focuses his practice on the employment law needs of Texas businesses and executive employees. He recognizes that the cost and expense of litigation make resolving employment disputes challenging. To help avoid these concerns, he utilizes his experience in and out of the courtroom to prevent or quickly resolve employment disputes through proactive employer planning and timely advice. When a dispute cannot be avoided, Michael relies upon his prior experience as a briefing attorney for the United States District Court and his extensive experience in employment and commercial lawsuits to secure favorable resolutions for his clients.
Michael has experience in a wide variety of employment and commercial matters including cases involving race and sex discrimination, fair labor standards, covenants not to compete, deceptive trade, fraud, negligence, and enforcement of contracts in state and federal courts as well as through binding arbitration.
Michael is also the author of the Texas “Employer Handbook”, a monthly guide for Texas business owners.
- Non-Competition Agreements: Michael has successfully represented employers and employees in post-employment disputes regarding non-competition issues. Michael has both obtained and precluded injunctions for clients in this area and has significant experience representing physician groups and physician-owned hospitals in this area.
- Discrimination Claims: Michael has successfully defended dozens of discrimination allegations against employers both before governmental agencies and in court cases.
- Employment Audits: Michael has represented and defended numerous employers and physician groups in overtime and misclassification audits before the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, and Texas Workforce Commission.
- Proactive Planning: Michael is a big proponent of proactive planning to avoid issues with audits and claims later. He has conducted innumerable preventative employment practice audits for employers and healthcare providers.
- Employment Agreements: Michael regularly prepares and reviews employment agreements for executives and employers in the medical field and all other areas of business.
- Michael has recovered monies for clients in contract disputes, real estate, construction, collection, deceptive trade practices, and other areas.
- Michael has successfully defended multi-million dollar clients in breach of contract, deceptive trade, foreclosure, and personal injury litigation.
- Successfully defended appeals to the Texas Supreme Court on matters of real estate and arbitration.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Briefing Attorney to United States Federal District Court Judge Sam R. Cummings (2000-2001)
- Lexwork International - Chair of U.S. Employment Section (2013 - Present)
- State Bar of Texas
Community Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Selected as a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine, 2008 - 2012