Licensed in Texas and Oklahoma, Ken Stone focuses his practice on commercial and personal injury litigation matters, primarily within the healthcare field but also across several other industries. He spends a substantial portion of his time assisting parties in resolving contractual disputes, and he works with a diverse group of healthcare clients – individual physicians, physician groups, hospitals, nursing homes and dialysis centers – resolving insurance, billing and recoupment disputes that arise when their valid claims for payment are either denied or reduced by insurers and Medicare.
Ken has also guided healthcare providers to favorable outcomes in dozens of medical malpractice cases over the years, with a more recent emphasis on defending hospitals and medical practices that are wrongfully sued under the corporate practice of medicine doctrine.
Ken maintains an active administrative law practice as well, representing healthcare clients in licensing disputes and other professional licensure matters before various boards in Texas, including the Texas Medical Board, the Texas Board of Nursing and the Texas Physician Assistant Board. Clients also rely on Ken to provide quick answers to everyday licensing and peer review questions and to advise on best practices for handling similar issues internally.
Since state and federal agencies have recently intensified their enforcement activities in many of the firm’s key industries, Ken now devotes part of his practice to defending corporate and individual clients facing investigations and enforcement proceedings with potential criminal and civil liability. These matters typically involve allegations of fraud and abuse within any heavily regulated industry, including healthcare, financial services, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and many more.
Ken is at his best when helping clients overcome any challenging crisis, particularly when he can develop an outside-the-box strategy that not only solves the problems at hand, but also prevents a similar crisis from happening again. He relishes the opportunity to represent plaintiffs or defendants in high-stakes personal injury and commercial litigation matters involving a wide range of issues, including contractual and employment disputes, construction defects, product liability, sexual misconduct and a variety of professional negligence claims in the legal and accounting fields.
- Obtained a substantial jury verdict on behalf of Jani-King International, Inc. in a suit against one of its New York franchisees. The jury found the franchisee breached both the royalty payment and non-compete provisions of the parties' franchise agreement, and denied the franchisee's counterclaims. Case upheld on appeal.
- Successfully defended community hospital owned by a nationwide hospital group in wrongful death claim.
- Successfully defended an orthopedic surgeon in Dallas County involving a claim of wrongful death.
- Lead counsel for two pastors in a seven-week trial in Oklahoma involving claims against the pastoral staff of failure to properly supervise an employee of the church's school who was convicted of molesting children in the church school.
- Successfully defended small appliance product liability manufacturer in a burn case.
- Represents doctors and physician groups in disputes over personal injury (including malpractice), employment and partnership issues.
- Represents hospitals in peer review matters for purposes of providing advice and counsel as well as in assisting in peer review hearings and disputes.
- Provides advice and counsel to hospitals regarding Medical Staff Bylaws and operational issues.
- Successful representation of clients in disputes related to construction and design defects.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Member of State Bar of Texas
- American Health Law Association
- Former President of the Dallas Association of Defense Counsel
- Board of Directors, Training Leaders International (2013 - present)
- Texas Health Law Association
- AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation)