Ken Stone represents clients in litigation, insurance and billing issues, licensing disputes and peer review related activities in the healthcare field. He works with a variety of healthcare providers including individual physicians, physician groups, hospitals, nursing homes and dialysis centers. Ken has handled dozens of medical malpractice cases for physicians, hospitals, long term care facilities and other healthcare providers through both settlement and trial. As part of his practice, he has also handled personal injury and commercial litigation matters for plaintiffs and defendants, contractual and employment disputes, construction cases, product liability cases, sexual misconduct cases, as well as assorted other professional negligence claims (accounting and legal). Ken has handled cases in numerous states and tried cases both in Texas and Oklahoma during his career.
- Obtained a substantial jury verdict on behalf of Jani-King International, Inc. in a suit against one of its New York franchisees. The jury found the franchisee breached both the royalty payment and non-compete provisions of the parties' franchise agreement, and denied the franchisee's counterclaims. Case upheld on appeal.
- Successfully defended community hospital owned by a nationwide hospital group in wrongful death claim.
- Successfully defended an orthopedic surgeon in Dallas County involving a claim of wrongful death.
- Lead counsel for two pastors in a seven-week trial in Oklahoma involving claims against the pastoral staff of failure to properly supervise an employee of the church's school who was convicted of molesting children in the church school.
- Successfully defended small appliance product liability manufacturer in a burn case.
- Represents doctors and physician groups in disputes over personal injury (including malpractice), employment and partnership issues.
- Represents hospitals in peer review matters for purposes of providing advice and counsel as well as in assisting in peer review hearings and disputes.
- Provides advice and counsel to hospitals regarding Medical Staff Bylaws and operational issues.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Member of State Bar of Texas
- Defense Research Institute
- American Health Law Association
- Former President of the Dallas Association of Defense Counsel
- Board of Directors, Training Leaders International (2013)
- AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation)