Russell Jumper concentrates his practice on helping companies through all stages of litigation. His clients conduct business in a variety of industries, including financial, construction and healthcare. Throughout his practice, he has prosecuted and defended claims involving trademark violation, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, corporate governance, negligence, leins, and labor and employment issues in state and federal courts, in arbitrations, and on appeal.
Before joining Gray Reed, Russell clerked and served as briefing attorney for former U.S. District Judge Walter S. Smith, Jr. on various employment law issues, including race, age, and sex discrimination claims.
Russell is a graduate of Texas Tech University School of Law where he was the Staff Editor and Comment Editor of the Administrative Law Journal.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in copyright and trademark violation actions.
- Represented financial industry startup company against claims of fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty asserted by potential investors.
- Secured temporary restraining order in favor of client against former vendor who withheld client’s confidential information upon termination.
- Represented business owner in dispute with partner, negotiated $1.4 million settlement.
- Successfully defended a former director of a corporation in $25 million breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit brought by the corporation. Russell argued and won a motion to dismiss, sparing the client the time, energy and expense of continued litigation.
- Represented construction industry client against claims of negligence in the identification and marking of underground facilities.
- Defending roofing contractor against allegations that contractor’s improper roofing work caused water damage to customer’s property.
- Filed and prosecuted liens on behalf of clients.
- Successfully challenged improperly filed lien, resulting in sub-contractor’s withdrawal of lien.
- Secured judgment of more than $375,000 in favor of roofing contractor for amounts owed for work performed.
- Regularly advises healthcare clients on a variety of litigation issues; including matters of improperly withheld insurance payments and enforcing non-compete agreements.
- Successfully represented surgery group against various insurers in pursuit of unpaid medical expenses.
- Obtained judgment of more than $700,000 in favor of physician client based on attempted purchase of a practice.
- Defended hospital entity against claims asserted by former shareholder.
- Represented a client in obtaining a temporary restraining order protecting the financial services company's confidential and trade secret information.
- Handled witness examination and presented the case to an arbitrator for a major auto dealership client. This resulted in a take-nothing judgment from the arbitrator.
- Served as co-counsel on a case representing a company sued under California’s Proposition 65 and negotiated a full settlement of the claims against the client.
- Represented a company against a former employee who violated its non-compete agreement with the company.
General Business/Non-Litigation Matters
- Assisted clients in creating and converting various types of entities.
- Advised client with respect risks of contemplated business venture and options for addressing the risks.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, State Bar Of Texas
- Construction Section Member, State Bar of Texas
- Named a Texas Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines (2014-2017).