Preston Kamin’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation including, oil & gas litigation, real estate litigation, employment disputes (including trade secret and non-compete claims), and product liability claims. He has tried cases in federal and state court.
He is a graduate of The University of Texas and the South Texas College of Law Houston where he was an assistant articles editor of the South Texas Law Review. Preston interned for the Honorable John D. Rainey, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
General Contract/Business Litigation
- First-chaired a successful bench trial regarding a contract dispute. The judge awarded his client a take-nothing judgment, plus his client's attorney's fees.
- Second-chaired a jury trial involving a breach of contract dispute relating to a contract interpretation dispute;
- Second-chaired jury trial involving the prosecution and defense of contract, fraud, and declaratory judgment claims resulting in a jury finding in favor of Preston's client.
- Obtained Summary Judgment on behalf of paint manufacture involving a contract dispute, which awarded Preston's client over $200,000 in damages, plus $30,000 in attorneys' fees;
- Successfully defended borrower against breach of contract and fraud against lender resulting in a favorable settlement
- Successfully prosecuted claims on behalf of a licensor of a software license agreement resulting in a favorable settlement
- Successfully prosecuted claims on behalf of a member of a limited liability company for improperly terminating his interested in the company.
- Successfully defended a large international manufacture of valves against alleged misappropriation of trade secrets
Real Estate Litigation
- First-chaired a successful jury trial for a commercial landlord and obtained a favorable judgment;
- First-chaired a successful jury trial for a residential landlord and obtained a favorable judgment;
- Obtained Summary Judgment for a commercial tenant involving a contract dispute and obtained a take-nothing judgment against the Plaintiff;
- Obtained several favorable settlements and judgments for a successful real estate developer.
- Second-chaired a bench trial resulting in a verdict on behalf of mineral interest owners in violation of New Mexico law.
- Third-chaired a two-week jury trial resulting in a significant jury verdict in products liability action against the provider of oil field rental equipment (the judgment has yet to become final).
- Successful defense of oil and gas operators in various lawsuits alleging breaches of joint operating agreements by non-working interest owners.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Member of the State Bar of Texas Committee on Court Rules (2017-2019)
- Co-Chair of 2016 Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse Gala
- As co-chair, Preston assisted in raising over $400,000 to support victims of domestic violence.
- President of the Coastal Conservation Association-Houston Chapter (2009 - 2011)
- As president, Preston was in charge of an organization that has over 500 members. In his role as president, he spearheaded CCA's annual banquet, with the assistance of his board members, and raised thousands of dollars for CCA.
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association - Fellow
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Certified Mediator, A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center, University of Houston Law Center
- Named a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2013-2018)
- Selected as a Fellow of the Houston Young Lawyers Association (2014). Only the top one percent of Houston Young Lawyers are honored
- "Consumers Right to a Jury Trial", Texas Law Center in Austin, TX (August 17, 2010)