Amy Allen focuses her practice on premarital agreements, divorce proceedings, marital property valuation and characterization, child custody, modifications of court orders, enforcement actions, adoptions and other child related issues, including CPS and Amicus appointments. She is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Family Law.
Before joining Gray Reed, Amy worked with various public and private organizations, in conjunction with the Harris County Family Court Judges, court personnel and volunteers, assisting families and children involved in emotionally charged divorces and court proceedings. Her extensive experience has resulted in her being appointed on numerous cases by the Harris County Family Court judges since she transitioned into the private practice of law.
Amy received her J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center, and attended the University of Texas for her undergraduate education.
- Board Certified - Family Law - Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Handled more than 50 premarital agreements, many with complex assets and large estates.
- Represented spouse of an NFL athlete in divorce. Related issues included contracts with multiple teams, bonuses, and future earnings.
- Served as Amicus attorney for four children involved in the Eldorado Compound sexual abuse case.
- Served as Amicus attorney, guardian ad litem, and attorney ad litem for children for more than 100 other children.
- Prosecuted protective orders both at the District Attorney’s office and in private practice.
- Prior to law school, supervised more than 1,000 hours of visitation interactions between children and a parent when the court says they can be alone with that parent.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Board of Directors (April 2014 – present)
- Treasurer (June 2017 - present)
- Texas Family Law Foundation, Lifetime Member
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Board of Directors (2016 – 2018)
- Historian (2013 - present)
- Gulf Coast Family Law Specialists
- Board of Directors (2014 – present)
- Burta Rhoads Rayborn Inns of Court
- Board of Directors
- President (2017-2018)
Community Involvement, Memberships & Affiliations
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Citizen's Academy, Chapter Member
- Family Time Foundation, Inc.- Crisis Hotline, Personal Accompaniment Volunteer (PAV) for sexual assault victims, Crisis Response Team for the Harris County Sheriff's Department, District II; legal advocate at The Door (domestic violence shelter)
- ESCAPE Family Resource Center - Advisory Board
- University of Texas at Austin Longhorn Foundation Member
- Texas Ex Lifetime Member
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Calf Scramble Committeeman
- Named a Houstonia Magazine Top Lawyer in Houston (2017)
- Named an H-Texas Top Lawyer in Houston (2016)
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine (2014 - 2017)
- Named a “Rising Star” by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine (2010-2014)