David focuses his practice on helping clients resolve intellectual property disputes and, in particular, representing clients in patent litigation. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in patent litigation involving a variety of technologies, including telecommunications, power converters, software, and electronic design automation, and at all stages, including initial pleadings, fact and expert discovery, claim construction, trial, and appeals.
David earned his law degree and bachelor of science in electrical engineering from the University of Texas. Prior to attending law school, he gained electrical engineering experience as an intern at Dell Computer, Freese & Nichols, National Instruments and Lockheed Martin Aeronautics.
- Represented owner of standard-essential and implementation patents related to telecommunications and networking in litigations against various smartphone and tablet companies.
- Represented a manufacturer of power converters for telecom equipment asserting its patents against eleven of its largest competitors. David was part of the team that obtained a $95 million jury verdict, immediately effective permanent injunction, and additional sanctions and supplemental damages. The judgment was affirmed in full by the Federal Circuit, and certiorari was denied. David also participated in a subsequent bench trial that awarded the client additional damages for time periods not covered by the original judgment.
- Represented a software company asserting its patents related to electronic design automation against one of its competitors.
- Represented a software company accused of infringing various patents related to teleconferencing. David was part of the team that secured a dismissal with prejudice for lack of standing.
"Federal Circuit Antitrust Law and the Legislative History to the Federal Courts Improvement Act of 1982," 26 REV. LITIG. 457 (2007).
Professional Memberships, Activities & Affiliations
- Judge Barbara M. G. Lynn IP Inn of Court, Barrister (2017 – present)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chief Articles Editor of the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal