The expertise and diversity of our real estate and finance attorneys allows us to effectively, efficiently and timely deliver the highest quality legal services for all aspects of our clients' real estate needs throughout Texas and across the United States. In fact, our real estate practice was recognized in the U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers' 2021 "Best Law Firms" ranking and three of our attorneys are Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Our real estate practice includes representation of developers, builders and investors in connection with all aspects of the acquisition, financing, construction, development, leasing and disposition of commercial, medical, industrial and multifamily residential projects.
We also have extensive experience representing developers and builders with all aspects of the development of single family subdivisions including projects located within development districts, municipal utility districts and fresh water supply districts.
In leasing matters, we represent both landlords and tenants in a wide array of projects including large retail and mixed used shopping centers, office, big box stores, medical and industrial. Our team also has extensive experience resolving landlord/tenant disputes, including renegotiations and modifications.
We also represent both private entities or individuals and financial institutions, including banks, savings and loan companies, mortgage companies, insurance companies, and others in connection with the negotiation and documentation of real estate loan transactions.
Other Select Real Estate Expertise
- Financing and negotiation of CMBS loans and related defeasance matters, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae loans
- Land use, zoning and negotiations with governmental authorities
- Workouts, restructuring and pre-suit dispute resolution
- Enforcement matters such as foreclosures, bankruptcies and evictions
- Environmental issues related to the ownership and development of real estate
- Tax matters, including tax implications and structuring, counsel for REITS and REMICS, qualified opportunity zones
Select Representative Experience
- Representation of developers in connection with the acquisition, development and financing of a $10MM plus multiphase subdivision
- Representation of a Fortune 100 company in the acquisition, construction and development of major hub locations throughout Texas
- Structuring subordinate and mezzanine financing for shopping center projects
- Coordination of tax-exempt bond financing for purchase, development and construction of retirement facilities
- Representation of owners and tenants in various eminent domain matters
- Representation of seller/tenants in $10-20MM sale/leaseback arrangements
- Representation of developers and landlords of multi-family properties, office buildings and shopping centers
Many of our transactional real estate attorneys currently serve or have recently served in leadership roles for industry-specific organizations, such as CREW, TREC and the State Bar’s Committee on Real Estate Legislative Affairs. In fact, Gray Reed had the most representation on the Committee for the 86th Texas Legislative Session.
Access to Resources and General Counsel Capabilities
As a full service firm, we are uniquely positioned to effectively represent and counsel clients beyond routine or the most complex real estate matters. When a client's need goes beyond the expertise or jurisdiction of a real estate attorney, our firm has a worldwide network of lawyers for international and cross-border issues and other Gray Reed attorneys who focus on areas such as mergers & acquisitions, banking & finance, energy, construction, healthcare, labor & employment, tax, intellectual property, white-collar defense, employee benefits and executive compensation, appellate and commercial litigation. These resources allow us to serve as outside general counsel for our clients and help solve nearly any issue they may face in the life cycle of their business.
Why Real Estate Clients Feel at Home at Gray Reed
Your experience with our real estate attorneys will be fully aligned with your goals and objectives and tailored specifically to how you want to do business with us. Our lawyers are adaptable and nimble – you will never be forced into a box that doesn’t fit your opportunity or problem, or your needs and desires. Whether we are your longtime partner in closing a high value transaction or representing you in the courtroom, you’ll be comfortable with our skill and practical approach. We know exactly when to turn up the heat and when collaboration is the smartest way for you to achieve your goals.