Resolving disputes always comes down to knowing the law and navigating the tough issues that prevent clients from reaching the right outcome on their own. I focus on putting clients at ease through every phase of a dispute and exploring all available options, regardless of the dollars at stake. I’m prepared to argue a case to a jury when necessary, but I also try to uncover a pragmatic solution that keeps clients out of the courtroom and enables them to return to their everyday business with as little stress and cost as possible.
Energy and commercial construction clients call on Gabe Vick to resolve complex disputes in every major-market and small-town courthouse across Texas, either when a single project is in jeopardy or a client’s entire business is on the line. With diverse clients ranging from E&P companies and oilfield service providers to product manufacturers and homebuilders, Gabe knows how to find the right solution for disputes involving a broad range of issues, including breach of contract, fraud, fiduciary duty, construction defects, liens, premises liability and indemnity.
A formidable opponent in the courtroom, Gabe has tried numerous commercial and personal injury cases to favorable jury verdicts, particularly in Harris County. This depth of trial experience has helped Gabe build credibility with the courts and earn a reputation among peers as always being ready to take a case to trial after every alternative has been explored, or when opponents play unnecessary games that prevent a more cost-effective outcome.
Gabe knows that helping clients resolve disputes isn’t just about securing a favorable settlement or verdict – it’s also about making clients comfortable despite the chaos of litigation. Whether it involves being up front about clients’ likelihood of success, proactively keeping them updated on costs, or responding to their questions and concerns quickly, Gabe always goes above and beyond to ensure that the important client service aspects of his representation are felt through every step of the process.
- Represented investor in an oil and gas service company in prosecuting claims under the Texas Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act against the company’s chief executive officer who diverted the client’s cash investment to himself and an unrelated entity. Obtained a temporary restraining order, temporary injunction, writ of garnishment, and writ of attachment to recover the stolen funds and other amounts.
- Obtained unanimous jury verdict for Jani-King in a suit to enforce a settlement agreement against a former Jani-King franchisee.
- Won complete dismissal of claims for subsurface trespass and negligence in favor of an oil & gas well operator.
- Defended publicly-traded company against former executive’s claims for breach of employment agreement, while pursuing counterclaims against former executive for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and misappropriation of trade secrets. The case resolved with the buyout of the former executive’s shares at a substantially discounted price.
- Defended claims against several entities for non-payment of a multi-million dollar promissory note. After a series of motions to dismiss and for summary judgment, the plaintiff dismissed the case without any payment from any defendant.
- Won complete summary judgment in defense of residential construction company on claims for various construction defects, breaches of warranty, DTPA violations and alleged mold exposure.
- Prosecuted and defended individual and shareholder derivative claims in a complex, multi-party dispute between owners of a small business for fraud, breach of contract, non-compete violations, and breaches of fiduciary duty, resulting in a favorable buyout price and injunctive relief.
- Successfully defended gas pipeline company against claims for tortious interference with customer relationships and breach of contract.
- Obtained full summary judgment within 30 days of lawsuit dismissing claims against residential home builder.
- Achieved a substantial settlement on behalf of a frac pump manufacturer for breach of contract and breach of warranty involving improperly manufactured component parts.
- Successfully prosecuted breach of contract claims involving easement and purchase agreements in connection with the sale of a commercial development.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of manufacturer against competitor in a case involving business disparagement, tortious interference, trade secret, copyright and non-compete agreements.
- Defended and obtained favorable settlement for oilfield services company in claims for breach of contract and quantum meruit.
- Secured $1.7 million judgment in favor of Houston-based energy company in a breach of contract case.
- Represented shareholder in arbitration for successful buyout of business partners in an oilfield services company.
- Obtained recovery for a partner in professional practice on claims for breach of fiduciary duty and defamation.
- Represented investors and secured judgment against multiple foreign and domestic defendants on claims for federal securities fraud and theft.
- Successfully prosecuted claim on behalf of distribution company in a case involving fraud and breach of contract claims arising from previous business acquisitions.
- Defended and advised product manufacturing company regarding employment, franchise and tort liability issues.
- Named a Super Lawyer (2022) and Rising Star (2012 - 2021) and recognized in the Up-And-Coming 100 list (2017 - 2021) by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines
- Named a Houstonia Magazine Top Lawyer in Houston (2016 - 2023)
- Order of the Barristers, South Texas College of Law (2007)
- Order of the Lytae, South Texas College of Law (2007)
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Association, Litigation Section Chair (2019 - 2020)
- Texas Pattern Jury Charge – Business, Committee Member (2017 - 2020)
- Director, South Texas College of Law Alumni Association
- Coach/Instructor of appellate advocacy for South Texas College of Law
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Leadership Academy 2008
Community Involvement, Memberships & Affiliations
- President, Woodland Heights Civic Association (2014-2015)
- Young Professionals Advisory Committee for the Greater Houston Easter Seals
When I Feel Most At Home
- Watching my boys play baseball
- Sailing around Galveston Bay
- Playing golf when I can