The healthcare industry is subject to legal and regulatory requirements that govern every aspect of the way business is conducted and services are delivered. The rapidly changing healthcare environment requires creative, yet sensible solutions to the pressures facing the industry. Our healthcare lawyers are well equipped to counsel a diverse clientele on strategies for the ever-changing healthcare landscape. Not only do we understand healthcare law and the industry, but we also know the healthcare market and what drives that market, which allows us to give our clients both quality legal and business advice. Gray Reed’s healthcare section was ranked among the very best firms in the United States in the 2015 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings (a Woodward/White company).
Gray Reed boasts a depth of experience within the health law practice:
• The Health Law Section is recognized as a “Tier 1” practice by 2015 U.S. News and World Report/Best Lawyers (a Woodward/White company).
• Six of our attorneys are Board Certified in Health Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (no other firm has more board certified healthcare attorneys than Gray Reed).
• Two of our attorneys are listed as 2014 Best Lawyers in America (a Woodward/White company).
• Two of our attorneys are recognized as 2014 Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company).
• Two of our attorneys are certified mediators and two certified arbitrators by the American Health Lawyers Association.
• One of our attorneys was Chair of the Dallas Bar Association’s Health Law Section and another is a current officer of the section.
• One of our attorneys is an Adjunct Professor at Baylor University School of Law where he teaches multiple classes in Health Care Law in the School of Law and Health Care Law in the Baylor Executive MBA Program.
Our Areas of Expertise Include:
• Physician-hospital ventures including the syndication of interests and financing for ventures
• Development of hospitals and other healthcare facilities
• Mergers and asset acquisition and disposition
• Management of acquisitions and sales of medical practices and shareholder interests
• Physician-hospital relationships
• Provider-based hospital contracts
• Physician practice issues and development of ancillary services
• Managed care providers and networks, including health maintenance organizations, utilization review agents, third party administrators, independent practice associations, physician-hospital organ-izations, accountable care organizations
• Corporate structuring
• Healthcare reimbursement
• Contract drafting, review and negotiation
• Defense of government investigations
• RAC, ZPIC and other payor audits
• Stark and anti-kickback analysis
• Development and implementation of compliance programs
• Representation before local, state and federal regulators
We listen to our clients’ business objectives and work to combine specialized legal and industry knowledge, relationships and strategy to reach comprehensive, creative and compliant solutions. This unique approach has enabled us to become a trusted advisor and effective advocate for a broad spectrum of healthcare clients that include:
• Healthcare systems and networks
• Physician practices/Dental practices
• Physician-owned entities
• Rehabilitation, Managed care providers/Accountable
• Imaging and other ancillary providers
• Ambulatory care facilities
• Pharmacy providers
• Long-term care facilities/Home Health Agencies/hospice
• Project developers/financial investors/private equity
Corporate and Transactional Practice
Gray Reed & McGraw is recognized for our market knowledge and business expertise. Gray Reed & McGraw’s Healthcare Team has a particular focus on the syndication of partnerships/company interests in the healthcare industry and in the representation of physician/hospital partnerships in the development of specialty and acute care hospitals, diagnostic imaging centers and cath labs. We have substantial experience advising clients on
a broad range of legal issues relating to the structuring, organization, licensing, and operation of ambulatory surgery centers and hospitals. Our team helps our clients negotiate, structure, document and achieve regulatory compliance with healthcare transactions. This includes mergers and acquisitions; joint ventures and strategic alliances; complex commercial agreements; affiliations, research collaborations and licensing agreements; equity and debt financings; restructurings and workouts; facility structure and financing; corporate formation and choice of business entity; change of ownership (CHOW) advice; and corporate governance compliance and best practices.
Regulatory and Compliance Matters
Our attorneys counsel clients in structuring significant business transactions to comply with complex state and federal laws and regulations affecting the healthcare industry. We have extensive practical experience in developing and implementing individually tailored compliance programs for the spectrum of clients represented. Gray Reed & McGraw provides related training as well as monitors and audits the programs to ensure their efficacy in regulating the healthcare payment and delivery systems. We also have experience dealing with complex self-disclosure issues, audits and investigations.
Our attorneys have successfully litigated cases covering virtually every aspect of healthcare law, including: medical malpractice, internal investigations and the defense of allegations of fraud involving government programs; criminal investigations of patient abuse and related civil actions; actions brought under the false claims act including qui tam and whistleblower lawsuits; reimbursement appeals before the provider reimbursement review board and in the courts; provider licensing and certification investigations and litigation; and medical staff disciplinary actions, due process and fair hearings.
A Wealth of Resources
But what sets us apart is our ability to draw on experience of other attorneys in the firm in solving tax, estate and other business problems of clients that only a full service commercial firm can provide. With this access, you can receive quality legal counsel in solving the most complicated legal issues arising in your practice.
Today Gray Reed has more than 120 lawyers practicing in Dallas and Houston, and offers a wide range of legal services including business litigation, corporate transactions, tax planning and litigation, real estate, healthcare, trusts and estates, employment law, intellectual property and bankruptcy.