I enjoy being an important member of the team for my clients and working together to solve their problems and help them grow. I get the best results when I’m involved in every aspect of their businesses so I can make sure everything we do is part of a consistent global strategy to achieve their goals.
As the outside general counsel and commercial litigator for numerous domestic and international businesses in the steel industry, Alexis Foster handles the entire range of litigation, transactional matters and day-to-day problems for her clients. Her practice is largely focused on resolving complex business disputes, whether she’s personally handling every detail of a case in Texas or overseeing local litigation teams in other jurisdictions, both in the U.S. and around the world. Alexis lives and breathes the steel industry, enabling her to develop creative, practical solutions to a variety of problems and give clients unique insights on the impact of litigation from both a legal and business perspective.
Alexis protects her clients’ interests beyond the trial court as well. She has guided clients to favorable results in substantive appellate matters before state and federal courts in Texas and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, including cases involving contract disputes, ERISA claims, FINRA violations and restrictive covenants.
Alexis graduated first in her class from the Masters of Health Law program at the University of Houston Law Center, where she published two Health Law Perspective articles for the university’s Health Law and Policy Law Journal. She was also awarded a Health Law and Policy Post-Doctorate Fellowship, where she drafted the Monthly Update on Health used by the Texas Legislature. This extensive background helps Alexis advise clients on how a variety of health law issues impact their businesses, including their reporting duties mandated by the Medicare secondary payer regulations.
- Drafted briefing to the Texas Fourteenth Court of Appeals on behalf of Appellee regarding issues related to the Texas Citizens Participation Act resulting in the appellate court’s affirmation of the trial court’s judgment.
- Drafted briefing to and represented Appellee in the Texas Fourteenth Court of Appeals regarding restrictive covenants and statutory penalties.
- Drafted briefing to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on behalf of Appellee regarding an appeal of a FINRA arbitration award resulting in the appellate court’s denial of Appellant’s petition to overturn the arbitration award.
- Drafted briefing to and represented Appellee in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit regarding an appeal of a summary judgment based on ERISA and breach of contract claims in favor of Appellee resulting in the appellate court’s affirmation of the trial court’s judgment.
- Actively participated in drafting opinions as a briefing attorney for the Texas Supreme Court: PNS Stores, Inc. v. Rivera, 335 S.W.3d 265 (Tex. 2010); Prairie View A&M Univ. v. Chatha, 381 S.W.3d 500 (Tex. 2012).
- Represented global marine insurer in multi-million dollar complex international business litigation.
- Represented steel distributor employer against trademark infringement and misappropriation claims.
- Represented land developer in a breach of lease agreement.
- Represented specialty steel procurement company in various breach of contract matters.
- Represented Plaintiff in a multi-party copyright infringement case involving citizens of Mexico and the United States in Federal Court.
- Represented international steel mill in breach of contract dispute.
- Represented defendants in multi-party asbestos proceedings.
- Represented major telecommunications company in various tort matters.
- Represented worldwide forged products company in various premises liability matters.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order for a foreign trading company enjoining a former employee from disposing of ill-gotten funds.
- Obtained a motion to dismiss various breach of contract claims against a carpet wholesaler.
- Obtained a motion to dismiss a claim for attorneys’ fees against an international steel sourcing company in federal court.
- Obtained a post-judgment writ of garnishment on behalf of a homeowner’s association garnishing the funds of a home for sale by the judgment debtor.
- Advised various specialty steel distributors in matters concerning the Uniform Commercial Code and related matters such as secured interests and lien perfection.
- Advised companies in the Standard and Line Pipe industries regarding various pre-litigation matters and asset protection.
- Named a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2019)
- Named a Houstonia Magazine Top Lawyer in Houston (2017)
- Officer and Associate Editor, Baylor Law Review
- Order of Barristers
- Academic Scholarship, Baylor University School of Law
- 2nd Best Speaker, Strasburger & Price Moot Court Competition
- Highest Ranked Female Speaker, Strasburger & Price Moot Court Competition
- Health Law and Policy Post-Doctorate Fellowship, University of Houston Health Law and Policy Institute
- Certificate of Competency, The OCTG Specialty Education Course, delivered by the Engineering Registered Continued Education Program and the National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors
- Certificate of Competency, NASPD Steel Pipe Basic Education Course, delivered by the Engineering Registered Continued Education Program and the National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors
Attended Steel Industry Conferences & Education Courses
- 2019 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Summer Conference, June 20-22 (Montreal, Canada)
- 2019 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Annual Convention, March 7-9 (New Orleans, Louisiana)
- 2018 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Fall Conference, October 25-27 (New York, New York)
- 2018 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Summer Conference, June 7-9 (Seattle, Washington)
- Tube 2018, April 16-20 (Dusseldorf, Germany)
- 2018 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Annual Convention, February 15-17 (Houston, Texas)
- 2017 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Steel Pipe Basic Education Course, November 13-15 (Houston, Texas)
- 2017 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors OCTG Specialty Education Course, November 13-15 (Houston, Texas)
- 2017 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Fall Conference, October 19-20 (Austin, Texas)
- 2017 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Summer Conference, June 15-17 (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- 2017 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Annual Convention, February 8-11 (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- 2016 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Fall Conference, October 6/8 (Nashville, Tennessee)
- 2015 National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors Annual Convention, February 18-21 (San Antonio, Texas)
- Briefing Attorney for Justice Eva Guzman of the Texas Supreme Court
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors
- Houston Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Health Law Section
- Appellate Section
- State Bar of Texas, Advertising Review Committeeman
- Houston Bar Association, Judicial Reception Committee
- American Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
Community Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Poultry Auction Committeeman
- Texas Christian University Young Alumni, Committeeman
- Baylor Bear to Bear Alumni Network
- Second Baptist Church
When I Feel Most At Home
- Watching the Green Bay Packers play at Lambeau Field
- Worshipping on Sundays at Second Baptist Church
- Sitting on the dock watching the sunset on Lake Livingston