J.P. B. Vogel is a partner and the leader of Gray Reed & McGraw’s Construction Law section. J.P. is a trusted advisor and litigator for businesses and individuals involved in the construction industry throughout Texas and the United States. His clientele includes owners, general contractors, specialty sub-contractors, suppliers, and manufacturers. For many of his clients, J.P. routinely provides counsel regarding their daily business operations including litigation, collection services, labor and employment issues, defect and insurance issues, drafting and negotiating agreements, and corporate governance.
J.P. has delivered numerous speeches to construction industry organizations regarding various construction law topics. He is an active member of the Construction Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, where he once served as a Young Lawyer Representative to its Board of Directors. He has been recognized as a Rising Star and Top Construction Lawyer by his peers.
J.P. is a Dallas/Fort Worth native, and a proud graduate of St. Mary’s University School of Law, Texas A&M University-College Station, and Highland Park High School.
- Texas, 2006
- U.S. Northern, Western and Eastern District Courts of Texas
- Representation of Houston based mitigation contractor regarding disputes on 15 different construction Projects resulting from Hurricane Ike. Representation resulted included the filing of mechanics and materialmens liens on each related Project.
- Represented Canadian based contractor in the perfection and collection of more than 100 separate mechanics and materialmens liens filed against multi-story condominium complex.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest steel fabricators in payment dispute with defaulted prime contractor on interstate highway expansion project. Representation included the perfection of multiple payment bond claims and the negotiation of payment to client in excess of $12 million.
- Represented Pittsburgh, PA based OEM plumbing part distributor regarding a dispute with a Texas based sales representative company related to alleged unpaid commissions.
- Represented Ohio based metal roofing manufacturer in litigation with Louisiana material distributor and obtained a judgment in excess of $700,000.
- Represented developer in protracted negotiation of Project Contract Documents with General Contractor for construction of state of the art community welcome center in Austin, Texas.
- Represented Houston based general contractors in breach of contract litigation against Project owner. Representation resulted in favorable settlement for general contractor.
- Represented Houston based mitigation contractor in litigation against Oklahoma based subcontractor regarding a breach of contract dispute in excess of $500,000. Representation included the successful defense of client from the enforcement of a Oklahoma Choice of Law and Venue provision, affirmed by the Oklahoma Supreme Court.
- Represented Dallas based concrete contractor in the preparation and perfection of a Restricted Appeal which resulted in favorable settlement for client.
- Represented San Antonio based glazing subcontractor in a $30 million dispute in Bryan-College Station, Texas involving construction defects and delay claims.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas (Construction Law Section)
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association (Construction Law Section)
- American Subcontractors Association (North Texas Chapter)
- Roofing Contractors Association of Texas
- Past Young Lawyer Representative to the State Bar of Texas Construction Law Section Board of Directors
- Past Board Member of San Antonio Bar Association Construction Law Section
Community Involvement, Memberships & Affiliations
- Southlake Executive Forum
- Vogel Alcove
- Named a Texas Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines (2017)