Gray Reed’s Probate and Fiduciary Litigation Practice Group features a deep bench of seasoned litigators focused on resolving disputes among family members, fiduciaries and other parties that complicate the transfer of assets to the next generation. Our team is proficient in navigating the highly technical substantive and procedural issues that arise in these complex cases. We have the capabilities and resources to handle these challenging disputes before probate and appellate courts all over Texas.
Probate and Fiduciary Litigation Experience
Our team has considerable experience guiding beneficiaries, executors, trustees, charitable organizations, guardians, creditors and other parties through the entire range of probate and fiduciary controversies, including:
- All types of contests involving the validity and interpretation of wills and trusts
- Disputes concerning beneficiary designations and gift transfers
- Fiduciary litigation involving alleged misconduct by executors, trustees and other fiduciaries, such as breach of fiduciary duties, fraud, conflicts of interest, self-dealing, improper asset management and more
- Suits to remove executors, trustees and other fiduciaries
- Estate and trust modifications, accountings and declaratory actions
- Disputes over the ownership, control and management of family-owned or closely-held business interests
- Contested guardianship and elder exploitation matters
- Complex creditor claims
Counseling on Fiduciary Best Practices and Risk Management
Fiduciaries also rely on our team to advise on best practices for discharging their duties, minimizing risk and enhancing dispute readiness. We provide strategic counseling across a number of areas, including preparation of accountings and beneficiary communications, estate and trust modifications, documentation of critical events, fiduciary succession and much more. When disputes arise, we advise fiduciaries on the best strategy for resolution, whether it involves a cost-efficient settlement or, as a last resort, aggressive advocacy in the courtroom.
Why Probate and Fiduciary Litigation Clients Feel at Home at Gray Reed
Clients benefit from our full-service capabilities when other issues complicate a probate or fiduciary dispute. They have full access to the firm’s experienced lawyers across numerous practice areas, including transactional, taxation, real estate, environmental, appellate law, among others. In addition, our team always provides candid advice that makes the most business sense for the client under the circumstances, particularly when the decision to settle a case or go to trial is on the table.