PLANNING TO CONQUER THE REAL WORLD OF PRIVATE PRACTICE
SMU Dedman School of Law
Saturday, April 5, 2014
Carr Collins, Jr. Hall, Godwin Gruber Lawyers Inn
Welcoming Remarks - Karen Sargent
Starting a Law Practice
Charles H. Awalt, Law Office of Charles H. Awalt
- Considerations in leasing space
- Leasing space, office sharing, other options
- What do you need?
- Hardware/software for your practice
- What can you do without?
- Staff‐ what can you afford?
- Staff supervision
- Liability insurance
- Opening a trust account
How do attorneys set their fees?
Walter Hofheinz, Law Office of Walter Hofheinz
Tessa Hofheinz Heinen, Law Office of Tessa Hofheinz Heinen (2013 graduate)
- What type of practice/cases do you want to do?
- Overhead expenses
- Charging a flat fee
- Charging an hourly fee
- Time keeping
11:45 AM Break for lunch
Building Your Practice: Client Development For Young Lawyers
Michael Blachly, Director of Marketing and Business Development, Gray, Reed & McGraw
- Why You Can't Just Hang Your Shingle and Expect Business To Come
- Developing Your Niche
- Building & Promoting Your Brand
- Developing Clients & Referrals
- Tricks in Networking
- Tricks in Giving Presentations
- Utilizing Social Media and the Internet
- Creating a System to Manage Prospects & Referrals
- Understanding What Clients Want
Other Things to Consider
Elaine Lenahan, Partner, Thompson Coe
- The initial meeting with a potential client
- Choosing clients/Red flags
- What should the file include?
- Engagement letter
- Attorney‐client contract ‐ what should it include?
- Calendaring important dates
- Withdrawal from representation
- Closing the file
- Storing closed files
- Ethical issues
- Qualification/experience issues
1:30 PM Q&A
2:00 PM Adjourn