As a lawyer and former civil engineer, Tim Fandrey has a strong understanding of the legal, technical and business challenges that clients face in the construction industry. His practice is primarily focused on helping general contractors, subcontractors, property owners and developers resolve the wide variety of claims and litigation that can arise in commercial and residential construction projects, including payment disputes, lien and bond claims, delay in performance claims, productivity claims, construction and design defects plus many more.
In addition to his litigation practice, Tim provides real-time advice through every phase of construction projects to help clients resolve developing issues proactively before they become expensive problems in the courtroom. He also advises clients on a broad range of construction transactions and negotiates associated deal documents, including owner agreements, subcontractor agreements and design agreements.
Before starting law school, Tim worked as a civil engineer for over four years, gaining unique practical experience in both the public and private sectors. After designing dozens of bridges and roadways for the Missouri Department of Transportation, Tim worked as a private engineering and environmental consultant and developed hands-on project management skills while overseeing numerous bridge, roadway and other design projects.
- Successfully represented a Texas-based general contractor in arbitration against sub-contractor and sub-contractor’s surety in termination for delay case.
- Represented mechanical contractor in the prosecution of a $20 million productivity claim.
- Represented utility contractor in the prosecution of a multi-million dollar differing site conditions claim.
- Represented site/civil contractor in defense of productivity claim by paving subcontractor.
- Represented commercial subcontractor in matter before the Safety Review Board of the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Structured multiple multi-million-dollar multi-family housing construction transactions and prepared related documents in accordance with federal guidelines.
- Prepared family of template construction agreements for a $300 million mechanical contractor performing work nationwide.
- Negotiated and closed multi-million-dollar construction company stock purchase.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas (Construction Law Section)
- Dallas Bar Association (Construction Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Forum on Construction Law)
- American Society of Civil Engineers