Ryan Sears serves as outside general counsel for both domestic and international energy clients, focused primarily on structuring upstream and midstream transactions and advising on the various issues that typically arise during the exploration and production of oil and gas.
Ryan has guided clients through challenging multi-million-dollar deals and routine operational transactions in Texas and many states across the country, primarily involving the acquisition, divestiture and financing of producing assets, private securities offerings, oil and gas leases, joint operating agreements plus much more. He also has unique experience in handling a broad range of international transactions, whether he’s helping a foreign energy client acquire oil and gas assets in the U.S. or guiding a domestic client through the process of expanding its operations abroad.
The majority of Ryan’s clients don’t have in-house legal counsel to help them resolve the day-to-day operational and legal issues that impact every energy company. They rely on Ryan as an integral team member who is always on call to advise on every aspect of their businesses, including entity structuring and corporate governance, vendor contracts, landowner title disputes, environmental issues and conflicts among partners.
- Represented a publicly-traded Chinese company on $500 million - plus acquisition of privately owned oil and gas company based in Fort Worth, Texas with operations in the Woodbine/Eaglebine play in East Texas. The representation included advice on the $150 million issuance of debt and guidance on CFIUS approval.
- Represented publicly-traded E&P company on its $100 million acquisition of producing oil and gas wells in the Eaglebine play in East Texas. Our representation includes day-to-day support of the company in all facets of its operations following closing.
- Represented a publicly-traded E&P company in $90 million sale of producing Haynesville Shale assets, where a portion of the purchase price was in the form of drilling credits which could be applied by Seller against drilling costs attributable to Seller's retained minority share.
- Represented privately-held E&P company on acquisitions and associated senior debt financing of producing oil and wells located in Andrews and Crane County, Texas aggregating $50 million.
- Represented private equity backed company on $31 million acquisition of producing oil and gas and pipeline assets in Wood County, Texas.
- Represented private equity backed company in two divestitures of Austin Chalk formation leasehold in South Texas, with an aggregate value of $40,000,000.
- Represented privately held E&P Company on multi-million-dollar joint venture with Indian investors for development of project in South Louisiana.
- Represented partnership on securities offering documents, capital raise, and acquisition of natural gas producing assets in South Texas.
- Represented other energy clients on acquisitions and divestitures of oil and gas assets in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Kansas, Louisiana and Utah with a combined value in excess of $500 million.
- Advising private equity backed midstream company on gathering and service agreements with its upstream customers.
- Advising upstream clients on numerous commercial agreements affecting daily operations.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Houston Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Former Chairman, Energy Law Section
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Energy and Natural Resources Section