Jenny Givens is a partner with the healthcare section of Gray Reed & McGraw in its Dallas Office. Her background in hospital administration gives her a unique understanding of the challenges facing healthcare providers and how to craft realistic solutions to those challenges.
Jenny advises a wide-range of providers including hospitals, physician entities, ambulatory surgery centers, and home health and hospice entities regarding healthcare operational, regulatory and corporate transactional matters. She has experience with a variety of matters including fraud and abuse, compliance, HIPAA, EMTALA, licensure and certification, reimbursement issues, employment agreements, coverage agreements, and management services contracts.
Before joining Gray Reed, Jenny was in-house with Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children and City of Hope National Medical Center in Pasadena, California where she handled a variety of transactional and compliance matters. In addition to her in-house legal experience, and prior to attending law school, Jenny was an administrator for a community hospital in Los Angeles, California. As assistant administrator, she worked with the medical staff committees and participated in all executive team committees and was responsible for strategic planning, services quality and day-to-day operations of the hospital's ancillary services, as well as licensing and accreditation activities. During her tenure in hospital administration, Jenny successfully led the facility through two Joint Commission surveys, was instrumental in securing funds through the sale of tax-exempt bonds for large-scale expansion project and, as an owner's representative, she carried a point position in the design and construction of intensive care, medical/surgical and psychiatric units.
- Board Certified in Health Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Successfully led hospital through two Joint Commission surveys.
- Response to government inquiries and investigations including the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights and the Office of Inspector General regarding billing errors.
- Oversight of coding and billing audits, correction of identified errors and implementation of measures to prevent recurrence.
- Implementation and evaluation of compliance programs in various provider settings.
- Played an integral role to secure $35 million through the sale of tax-exempt bonds which, combined with $17.5 million in FEMA grant money, funded an 80,000 sq. ft hospital expansion and renovation project.
- Served as an owner's representative in the design and construction of a 10-bed ICU, 50-bed medical/surgical unit and 60-bed acute psychiatric unit, and a state-of-the-art central plant. Successfully remodeled the existing facility, including the laboratory and the surgical department, in phases to ensure the hospital's patient care services remained in operation while maintaining patient safety and satisfaction.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas, admitted May 2008
- Dallas Bar Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (March 2012)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American College of Healthcare Executives
Community Involvement, Memberships & Affiliations
- Court Appointed Special Advocates
- Recognized in the Up-And-Coming 100 and Up-And-Coming 50 Women lists by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2017)
- Named a Texas Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines (2014-2017)