Isreal Miller is a tax attorney focused on state and local taxation matters (sales and use tax and franchise tax). Prior to joining Gray Reed, Isreal served for five years as a trial attorney for the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. While at the Comptroller’s office, he personally handled over 1,700 cases and litigated over 850 of those cases. During his work at the Comptroller, he gained extensive experience working with taxpayers, taxpayer representatives, auditors, and other agency personnel to resolve disputed state tax issues and claims. He also has significant experience with general tax and estate planning.
Isreal received his B.A., with honors, from the University of Texas at Austin; his M.S. in Personal Financial Planning and his J.D. from Texas Tech University; and his LL.M. in Taxation from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law. Isreal is also a Certified Public Accountant and a Certified Financial Planner™ professional.
- Reviews disputed state tax audits and assessments and refund denials.
- Works with taxpayers, taxpayer representatives, auditors, and other agency personnel to resolve disputed state tax issues and claims.
- Provides comprehensive financial planning services, including income tax planning, cash flow analyses, asset allocation, education planning, compensation and employee benefits planning, insurance planning, and sophisticated estate planning to high net-worth clients ($1 million to $100 million in net worth).
- Drafts and reviewes legal documents (primarily real estate, estate planning, entity structuring, probate, and tax).
- Experience with preparing federal gift and estate tax returns.
- Advised an accounting firm and a financial planning firm on compliance issues.
- Provided litigation support in divorces, ownership disagreements, and contested probates.
- Reviewed insurance portfolios and determined appropriate levels and types of life insurance to meet specific clients’ needs.
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member of the Austin Bar Association
- Member of the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Certified Financial Planner™ Practitioner
- Passed the Series 65 - Uniform Investment Adviser Law Examination
- Appointed a Notary Public, State of Texas