Isreal Miller is a tax attorney focused on state and local taxation matters (primarily Texas sales and use tax and franchise tax). Prior to joining Gray Reed, Isreal served for five years as a trial attorney for the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. While at the Comptroller’s office, he personally handled over 1,700 cases and litigated over 850 of those cases. During his work at the Comptroller, he gained extensive experience working with taxpayers, taxpayer representatives, auditors, and other agency personnel to resolve disputed state tax issues and claims. He also has significant experience with general tax, business, and estate planning matters.
Isreal earned his B.A. in English and Anthropology, with honors, from the University of Texas at Austin; his M.S. in Personal Financial Planning and his J.D. from Texas Tech University; and his LL.M. in Taxation from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law. Isreal is also a Certified Public Accountant in Texas and a Certified Financial Planner™ professional.
State Civil Tax Litigation / Controversy Work
- Resolved over 1,700 cases and litigated over 850 of those cases at the State Office of Administrative Hearings.
- Represents taxpayers in sales and use tax, franchise tax, mixed beverage gross receipts tax and mixed beverage sales tax, nexus, and officer and successor liability matters.
- Works with taxpayers, taxpayer representatives, auditors, and other Comptroller personnel to resolve disputed state tax issues and claims.
Estate Planning, Probate, & Transactional Work
- Counsels clients on all phases of estate planning and the preparation of wills and various forms of trusts to effect property transfer goals and to minimize estate and gift taxes.
- Designs and implements family limited partnerships and other entities to manage family-owned assets.
- Represents clients in uncontested will probates and in estate administration.
- Counsels clients on and prepares premarital agreements and separate property and community property agreements and on maintenance of separate property interests.
- Prepares federal gift and estate tax returns.
- Maintains certification by the State Bar of Texas to serve as an attorney ad litem in Texas courts under Texas Estates Code § 1054.201.
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member of the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the Dallas Bar Association
- Certified Financial Planner™ Practitioner
- Personal Financial Specialist