Casey Doherty is a native Houstonian and an associate in Gray Reed’s commercial litigation section where he handles matters including complex commercial litigation, civil litigation, employment and bankruptcy. Casey joined Gray Reed in 2015 and was formerly a bankruptcy associate at a large Houston firm where he worked on corporate and litigation matters. He primarily represents businesses to resolve disputes in state and federal trial court proceedings, bankruptcy court proceedings, state and federal appeals and arbitration proceedings.
Before entering private practice, Casey clerked for Bankruptcy Judge Robert L. Jones, Northern District of Texas-Lubbock Division, from 2011 to 2012. Casey earned his law degree from New York University School of Law and attended Boston College for his undergraduate education.
- Second chair in lawsuit seeking over $100 million in damages against Midwestern mining client. Drafted briefs and obtained dismissal on appeal for lack of personal jurisdiction. Opinion available here.
- Second chair for six-figure lease dispute and eviction trial for hospital client. Obtained victory at trial.
- Lead counsel for restaurateur client in dispute with landlord over rent and property rights; obtained summary judgment on key claims and favorable settlement.
- Lead counsel on matter involving protecting and preserving JOA and lease rights in major oil and gas bankruptcy.
- Second chair and lead trial briefer for Canadian entity sued in Texas court and obtained dismissal based on lack of jurisdiction. Participated on team as which upheld dismissal on appeal. Opinion available here.
- Second chair in DTPA and breach of contract claims case regarding distributorship agreement; obtained dismissal of DTPA claims pre-trial based on briefing and obtained favorable settlement mid-trial of contract claims.
- Second chair and lead author of granted, key summary judgment motion in estate dispute over luxury real estate.
- Represented group of former executives in dispute with former employer over newly formed company; obtained favorable settlement.
- Second chair in fraudulent transfer state court case; after mediation, obtained cost of defense settlement.
- Represented contractor in multi-million dollar dispute with general contractor over construction of hospital; obtained favorable settlement.
- Acted as a research and drafting attorney for numerous patent holders and have drafted briefs filed in the Federal Circuit and federal patent cases.
- Represented pipeline company in case in both federal and state court involving novel issues of removal jurisdiction, federal preemption jurisdiction and state law defenses.
- Acted as research and briefing counsel for loan buyer in complex dispute with seller ultimately tried in federal court.
- Represented defendant in litigation concerning a train derailment and assisted litigation partner with researching, drafting pleadings and advising on bankruptcy and discovery issues.
- Represented buyer by drafting and revising bankruptcy plan, asset purchase agreement, plan support agreement and real property lease for acquisition of hardware distributorship and led negotiations on behalf of buyer for settlement of claims.
- Co-counsel on claims handling process of estate of wholesale distribution enterprise sold for ~$50 million.
- Represented media entity as defendant in fraudulent transfer action for airing of commercials including researching legal issues, drafting pleadings, attending hearings and assisting with preparation for mediation.
- During clerkship, researched legal issues, in In re AHF, involving hundreds of fraudulent transfer actions brought by a bankruptcy trustee. Case involved disputes of characterization of transactions as loans or as equity and valuing obligations and complex assets.
- During clerkship, observed four week trial regarding a “cram-down” bankruptcy plan with central contention being disputed discount rate and feasibility of reorganized enterprise; drafted majority of opinion.
- During clerkship, observed trial on breach of contract for purchase of winery and wrote majority of final opinion on contract issues and fraud in addition to summary judgment opinion regarding corporate authority.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- United Way Young Leaders Council