Alex has a wide ranging practice focusing on General Civil and Commercial Litigation, with experience in cases involving collections, deceptive trade practices, fraud, property disputes, health care litigation, defense of corporations and businesspersons against violations of city ordinances, oil and gas and probate litigation.
Alex joined the Smith County District Attorney's office after graduating from Baylor Law School, eventually serving as Chief Misdemeanor Prosecutor and Asset Forfeiture Attorney. He joined Gray Reed as an associate in 2007. Alex is an avid motorcyclist and is an active shooting sports competitor.
- As lead counsel in a defamation lawsuit, prevailed on Summary Judgment resulting in judgment for the defendants and dismissal of all of the plaintiff's claims.
- As lead counsel in breach of fiduciary duty litigation, oversaw all aspects of two-year litigation culminating in a three-week jury trial.
- As lead counsel for a trustee in probate litigation, negotiated a settlement favorable to the trustee with no amounts paid by the trustee to the claimant.
- As lead counsel in a collection case secured a large judgment for the plaintiff.
- As co-counsel in a complex breach of contract dispute, drafted pleadings leading to pre-trial dismissal of all counterclaims in civil litigation before Federal District Court, and participated in all other aspects of the case ultimately resulting in a large negotiated settlement.
- As co-counsel defending a products liability case in Federal District Court, participated in a week-long jury trial resulting in a jury verdict absolving defendant from all liability
- As co-counsel, briefed and argued Motions for Summary Judgment in a collection case, resulting in a large judgment for the plaintiff. As briefing attorney, successfully defended that summary judgment in an appeal before the 5th Court of Appeals and contesting a petition to the Texas Supreme Court, resulting in payment to the client of a cash supersedeas bond.
- Assisted with preparation of $2+ million request for equitable adjustment to Texas international airport for extra work and delays during construction of pipeline system and resulting in a negotiated settlement of $1.25 million.
- Prepared and argued a Motion to Dismiss in a medical malpractice claim, resulting in a complete dismissal with prejudice in favor of the health care provider and an award of over $25,000.00 in attorneys' fees.
- Prepared a motion for summary judgment in breach of contract litigation in an oil and gas case, resulting in judgment in favor of the client landowner and an award of over $75,000.00 in attorneys' fees.
- Extensive jury trial experience, including as lead counsel in successful prosecutions of drug and weapon possession offenses, DWI offenses, and assault and family violence offenses.
- Represented Smith County in the Smith County Commissioner's Court.
- John C. Flood of DC, Inc., et al v. SuperMedia LLC, 408 S.W.3d 645 (Tex.-App.—Dallas 2013, pet. denied).
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Young Lawyers Association
- Named “Rising Star” in 2010 by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) as published in Texas Monthly and Law and Politics magazine
- Recognized for "Best Human Interest Article" by the State Bar of Texas for an article he authored in the Dallas Bar Association Headnotes publication (2011).