1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
214.954.4135 F: 214.953.1332
1300 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 2000
Houston, TX 77056
713.986.7000 F: 713.986.7100
Gray Reed & McGraw places a high value on giving back to our communities, and is extensively involved with pro bono efforts in both Houston and Dallas.
Gray Reed’s Pro Bono Committee was founded in December 2012 in an effort to increase volunteer opportunities for attorneys firm-wide and to identify potential pro bono opportunities within the Dallas and Houston communities. Since its inception, Gray Reed has sponsored and staffed numerous legal clinics, including the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Veterans’ Clinic, Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program Clinics, Houston Bar Association LegalLines and the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Saturday Walk-in Clinic. The firm also provides free legal advice to numerous non-profit organizations, including The Women’s Home, Children’s Advocacy Centers of Texas, Inc. and The Women’s Resource.
Pro Bono Efforts
Attorneys in both cities volunteer more than 1000 hours each year to a variety of pro bono matters. Cases range from family law divorces to estate planning to litigation to helping nonprofits, through a variety of avenues.
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program Clinics
- Dallas Young Lawyers Association Clinics
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Will-A-Thon
- Houston Area Women’s Center Clinics
- Legal Lines Clinics
- Veterans’ Clinics
Gray Reed’s pro bono efforts span more than 50 attorneys in Dallas and Houston, In fact, the State Bar of Texas recently highlighted Gray Reed's pro bono efforts, in conjunction with the National Pro Bono Celebration in their Pro Bono Spotlight. The Texas Access to Justice Commission, the American Bar Association and others also collaborated on efforts for that week.
Gray Reed has been an Equal Access to Justice Champion law firm since 2013. Started in 2006 by the Houston Bar Association, the Equal Access to Justice Champions Program helps place Houston Volunteer Lawyers cases with pro bono volunteers. Participating firms pledge to accept, annually, one pro bono cases for every five lawyers in their Houston office.
Because of the contributions made by Gray Reed attorneys and staff to the Houston community, the firm was recognized as an Outstanding Mid-Size Firm
by the Houston Bar Foundation in 2017.
Other Community Involvement
Gray Reed encourages our attorneys to become active, responsible members of their communities. Below are some of the organizations where we commit our time, talent and resources.
- Children’s Advocacy Center of Texas
- Texas County and District Retirement System Board of Trustees
- The Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin
- Anti-Defamation League
- Baylor Healthcare System Foundation
- Clayton Dabney Foundation
- Dallas All Sports Association
- Dallas Baptist University
- Daniel Dawn Smalley Foundation
- DFW Alliance for Healthcare Excellence
- Episcopal Church of the Epiphany Foundation
- Family Compass
- Father of the Year Awards, Inc
- Highland Park Community League
- Labors for Neighbors
- Medical Center of Plano
- National Kidney Foundation
- Presbyterian Communities and Services
- St. Mark’s School of Texas Alumni Board
- Training Leaders International
- Baylor University
- C Club of Houston
- Coastal Conservation Association
- Easter Seals
- ESCAPE Family Resource Center
- Equal Justice Works
- Girls Inc.
- Gulf Coast Community Protection and Recovery District
- Judith Liebenthal Robinson Ovarian Cancer Foundation
- Maplewood South/North Civic Improvement Association
- Military Child Educations Coalition
- Ralph H. and Ruth J. McCullough Foundations
- William A. & Madeline Welder Smith Foundation
- Woodland Heights Civic Association
- Young Friends of CanCare
What Our Attorneys Say About Giving Back:
“I appreciated the opportunity to help [my client through Houston Volunteer Lawyers Will-a-Thon], and it has also helped my confidence level as an attorney that I was able to venture outside of my practice area and take care of a matter of a type that I had never handled before." - Houston Partner Paul Yale
"LegalLine is an invaluable experience for any attorney in private practice. We often lose sight of the legal issues that people in need are facing and the unequal access to legal counsel. I am always excited to pick up the phone to help someone who feels helpless understand their legal rights. As Gray Reed lawyers, we take great pride in helping to stop the abuse of legal process against those less fortunate." - Dallas Associate Marcus Fettinger
Jack Emmott Honored for Collaborative Law Work
Paul Yale Recognized for Involvement with Houston Volunteer Lawyers Will-a-Thon
Pro Bono Spotlight